I have to say I went through quite a few ideas in the creation of this game. I originally wanted to create a video game for English. I realized, very very early, that that was’nt going to be possible at all. Next I though of using the wack the mole game to teach multiplication but quickly realized that that was also something that I just wasn’t equip to build. Then when discussing it in class I had realized that maybe wacking wasn’t the only action I could use to make my game fun.
I though of something else that children love, balloons. What better way to teach the kids but by allowing the to destroy them, pop them. So I decided that instead of doing a typical drill where where a combination of numbers, from 1 through 12 are placed together through multiplication and asking for he answer, why not give the player the answer and have them give me the multiplication problem. So started by listing all the possible multiplication answers from the 1 to 12 times table. Then I wote down all the possible multiplication answers for each number I listed.
Next it was time to make the wheel. I got a plate from the 99 cent store and counted all the numbers I needed to place on the wheel (59), the number was uneven so added another space to the wheel, you win. I then used post its to write the #’s on the plate
what came next was the board itself. I used a decent size box and took it apart. I used to top panel for the directions.
the Next two panels I cut out twelve holes and brought some number magnets that I pasted above each hole. Once that was done I cut out the conors of some smaller boxes and pased then to back of each hole. This little “cup” would hold the balloon. the last panel I used as a stand t hold the base of the board up. The last step was to blow up the balloons. I blew up 90 balloons, didn’t even use half but at least I was prepared. This was the final product.